Romanian Carpathian Mountains
In the Carpathians you may find a unique variety of breath taking landscapes, subterranean caves, volcanic lakes, spectacular gorges with height cliffs, stunning waterfalls, grasslands and forests with streams and rivers. Rich vegetation and wildlife are waiting for you. No matter if you are an adventurous or a romantic spirit Carpathian Mountains give you countless choices for amazing and unforgettable outdoor experiences.
Must-see places in the Carpathians:
- Visit Apuseni Natural Park - cavers' paradise with Scarisoara Glacier - the second largest underground glacier in Europe.
- Take a ride on "the best road in the world" - Transfagarasan.
- Experience trekking, mountain bike rides and enjoy pure nature in the Fagaras Mountains, Bucegi Mountains, Piatra Craiului National Park or Retezat National Park. If you like rafting, kayaking and canoeing you can do it on the Crisul Repede, Bistrita or Mures rivers.
- Explore Calimani National Park and its volcanic bizarre shapes.
- Bicazului Gorges - the most spectacular road pass in Romania, serves as a passageway between Transylvania and Moldavia. This is also one of the main rock climbing areas in Romania. Turda Gorges it is another location with spectacular high cliffs.
- Discover some of the most beautiful glacial lakes in Europe (most famous is Balea Lake).
- St. Anna Lake is the only lake in Romania formed in an old volcano peak.